The following are the foods to either indulge in or stay away from if you want to keep your eye heath.
• As many fruits and veggies as possible—aim for 7 or more combined servings a day. (note superstars for eye health in red)
• Extra virgin olive oil as your oil of choice.
• Regular consumption of oily fish—salmon, tuna, mackerel,sardines, and herring. Aim for 3 servings weekly.
• A generous handful (1oz.) of nuts daily.
• Starchy carbohydrates with a low to moderate glycemicindex—100% whole grains and beans/legumes.
• Regular consumption of vitamin E rich foods — nuts, seeds,spinach, wheat germ, wheat bran, whole soy foods.
• Regular consumption of foods rich in zinc — oysters, crab, turkey, fortified cereals, dark chocolate, nuts/seeds, and beans.
• The “Great White Hazards” — white flour products, white potatoes, white rice, sugar/sweets
• Saturated fats — fatty cuts of red meat, whole dairy products, and butter.
• Red meat (especially fatty cuts) — limit to 2 servings weekly. Avoid processed varieties and fatty cuts.
• Sugary beverages — soda, fruit drinks, sports drinks, vitamin water, etc.
• Trans fats — strictly avoid stick margarine, fried fast foods, processed foods containing partially hydrogenated oils, and shortening